Monday, May 3, 2010

Everybody Loves Hugo

Well I must admit that this final season hasn't really produced my best work... I don't know if it's the kid, the wine shop, the full time job, the wife, the trips to Argentina tracking down former Special Ops-turned-bad guys who sell secrets to Russia, the house or what....but we are near the end and I think the over arching theme for ol El Prez this year has been to sit back and just take it all in...
The mysteries are essentially over...I don't need to dive into the secret meaning of some obscure, cool sci-fi book from 1950 in order to enjoy the show..I appreciate the effort on the part of the writers but nowadays, with the end coming soon, I really just want to see stuff blow up....
And in this episode we got a lot of cool stuff blowing up, specifically Ilana... I'll be honest: these disciples of Jacob have met some pretty crappy endings, considering all of their sacrifices in his name... Remember the guy Ben put 2 in the chest in? Yeah...He was with Team Jacob... That dude who ate smoke in the statue? Dogen? The guy with the glasses? All these fools have had their moment in the sun, only to lose out....
Which makes me wonder about who is really in charge? Is it Jacob? Is it the Man in Black?

I don't think it's either... My answer is going to be a little more... environmental. I am proposing a new-ish theory of who is in charge....The Island itself... I think Jacob and MIB are merely agents of the Island.. I don't know if even they have total control... so in my mind, I think Fake Locke is the only sane one on the Island...The only one who wants off the damn rock.. I don't know.. that may just be the theory of the day...the more I think I know, the less I actually do...

But this episode was about Hurley's road to love..very well played by the always sweet Cynthia Waltros..another character that met an untimely, kind of crappy way to die off the show... it was nice to see her again...and she has magic lips, cause she made Hurley see another world... but what does it mean?? I DON'T KNOW!!!!!!! aarggg....

The other highlight of the show is that Desmond took particular enjoyment in running down Locke.. I'm not sure if he caught a glimpse of Locke throwing him so carelessly into that well and that's why he did it, or if he really likes running over handicapped folks... I don't know how he spends his free time..

A mystery was sort of solved in this episode: the whispers.... Michael identified them as spirits who can't "move along"..I'm sorry, but didn't we already see the episode where the Island let him know that it was done with him and blew him to smithereens on the boat? Was that Jacob who used Michael back then? Or was it MIB? I mean, one of those damn people needed him and then used him and then blew his butt shy high...somebody has to answer for the fact that they can pull him back anytime they want to!!
And that somebody is the Island.. I think Jacob needed Michael, used him and then let him die....but the Island wasn't done with him... so now the Island is using him before it lets him move on...confused yet? I sure am!
But the other thing that this whisper explanation eluded to was the fact that the Island was some sort of limbo land between heaven and hell or the afterlife or what have you... that sounds a LOT like Purgatory and the writers have adamantly stated numerous times over that it's not Purgatory... I mean, adamantly.. so I'll allow them to tell their story before I cry foul... I've made it this long and been entertained, so I'll give them a little more rope...hell, there are only 4 more episodes... I think I can hold out..
That's really all I had on this episode...that's not to say I didn't see a bunch of other things but with all the excitement in my life these days, this episode was 3 weeks ago and I'm doing my best to remember it...
I did love the end and the reunion of the 2 groups, finally... hijinks from the old gang, sure to come!

No comments: